To start off...

They say a picture is worth 1000 words.

This blog started as my personal goal to post a picture each day of my first year living in Washington, D.C. 4 years later, the objective has changed and my posts are much less frequent. I write when I am inspired by an event or experience and do my best to capture feeling and intrigue with the photographs I take. My hope is that somewhere between the pictures and words, you have a glimpse of the inspiration behind each one and that you may experience through them some of the joy and emotion that urges me to share.


(All photography by yours truly)

Sunday, June 6, 2010

East Coast Livin'


Day 143: D-Day! We went to the new wing of the Marine museum yesterday…They added Revolution, Civil War, and WWII exhibits AND we had the opportunity to see the Marine Band play. It was amazing to see how far the Marines reached in their beginnings—The United States was so involved around the world and we were powerful! I know we still are today, but that is hardly the way we are ever painted, even within America.
Day 142: New ballpark #2!! Let’s do a little synopsis. The general atmosphere of the park was…just that of a hot summer night. Lots of people having a good time though, so that was good. Clearly loved the “President’s Race” which starts out in center field and had Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, aaand someone else racing around the warning track starting in center field and heading to first base line—points for the patriotism. The organist played “Hey Soul Sister”, “Hey ya” and other popular hits, so that was impressive and added to the young crowd. Had great seats on the first base line AND a tour of the production room after being on the jumbo-tron twice! I still think Great American was prettier, but this experience was a pretty close match! 0-2 for seeing winning games by the home team though…guess that’s a good thing for the pending Phillies-Twins game in Philly and Orioles-Twins in Baltimore!

Day 141: Well, haven’t moved yet, but I met the girls by our new place for a happy hour after work, so excited for this new area! Super cute little downtown and then great walking/biking/running paths along a creek. All close to DC AND safe! This party bus was driving down the street for some guy running for Congress and while we disappointed him when we said we weren’t registered voters in Virginia, we assured him we would vote for him if we could!

Day 140: Dinner. And they say you have to go to college to make money.

Day 139: Bahahaha, I found this picture today and had forgotten about it…Basically it was the Heil kids playing at Pentagon metro station. Bekah rode up and down twice trying to find us and Ben and I thoroughly enjoyed the trickery. We seriously discussed the possibility of pulling an “Improv Everywhere” move and all sitting in different places on the train and start singing different parts of “In the Jungle”, but we were far too intrigued by the woman literally doing drugs on the metro.

Day 138: I would just like to take a moment to expound on the phenomenon that is crabs out here. I am telling you, it is the strangest thing to me. To me, a summer night is barbequing on the patio with my family, playing catch, and listening to a baseball game. Out here, it’s sitting with a beer at picnic table with a pile of crabs. Not only did I experience this first hand while in Annapolis (and was pleasantly surprised at the fun and tastiness of the whole situation), but it happens all over! I digress: I was sitting at the pool this weekend and I overheard the following conversation.. Wife: I was just going to pick up some crabs..Husband: Sounds good. Wife: I’ve got some burgers I’ll toss on too. Okay, point is, they treat it like we do chips or corn on the cob. I’ve just never really been outside the Midwest!

No comments:

Post a Comment