To start off...

They say a picture is worth 1000 words.

This blog started as my personal goal to post a picture each day of my first year living in Washington, D.C. 4 years later, the objective has changed and my posts are much less frequent. I write when I am inspired by an event or experience and do my best to capture feeling and intrigue with the photographs I take. My hope is that somewhere between the pictures and words, you have a glimpse of the inspiration behind each one and that you may experience through them some of the joy and emotion that urges me to share.


(All photography by yours truly)

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

In Sunlight and In Shadow

I came across these moving words while reading last night and wanted to share. Though a fictional work, I feel that this paratrooper's observations while preparing to embark on a mission carry deep emotion and accuracy that I will never entirely understand.
"In a vast, prayerful order of silence, thousands of men went about their separate tasks. Even before battle they had entered into a deep connection with those, past and future, who had found or would find themselves part of a great host, moving as if without will, coordinated and sanctified by death. This pointless and tragical fugue had rolled through history since the beginning. The pace may have varied, but the harvest was steady over time, its momentum increasing and undiminished. It moved evenly, treated all passions equally, and was as cold and splendid as the waves in winter.  
What force, he wondered, could paint such a canvas and command such dedication while never failing, again and again, to take sons from mothers, husbands from wives, and fathers from children? Unable to hesitate or protest, he looked toward the weapons and equipment he had made ready many times over, and felt love that would forever abide for all those he had followed, and all who would follow after, in thrall of his tide." 
From In Sunlight and In  Shadow, by Mark Helprin

No comments:

Post a Comment