To start off...

They say a picture is worth 1000 words.

This blog started as my personal goal to post a picture each day of my first year living in Washington, D.C. 4 years later, the objective has changed and my posts are much less frequent. I write when I am inspired by an event or experience and do my best to capture feeling and intrigue with the photographs I take. My hope is that somewhere between the pictures and words, you have a glimpse of the inspiration behind each one and that you may experience through them some of the joy and emotion that urges me to share.


(All photography by yours truly)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Memoirs of the Funemployed

This building is magnificent no matter what the weather.
Newest word in my vocabulary: Funemployed

Funemployed: The state of being without a job, yet having lots of time to enjoy fun activities during otherwise normal working hours (Urban Dictionary).

Hmm, I guess I can work with that. Today, specifically, was applying for multiple jobs, tracking down multiple college transcripts (you'd think I'm trying to build a fake identity with the hoops they made me jump through), leaving the house exactly one time to go to the post office to send that transcript request, and reading through old college essays in search of the best writing sample. Not so fun, but when every day is Saturday, I suppose you have to make some time for the real stuff.

I have gone on more hikes in the last month than in the last 2 years combined. I have been to the gym every day since I joined. I've started reading the newspaper every day. I've gone without make-up. I eat normal, healthy meals. I went to Vermont. I've volunteered. I have watched far too many Netflix series. I've practiced trivia. I've left my hair piled on top of my head all day. I've had lots of meetings. I've gone to Minnesota twice. I've started blogging again. I have done my best to appreciate this unique time in my life and really, I have enjoyed it.

But... I like working. I like having a purpose. I like earning my own money. I like getting up, getting ready, and leaving the house for the day. I like being challenged. I like being gainfully employed. It's been good. It's been real. I will miss parts of it. But it can end any day now and I will be just fine.

Week 2 Picture: The U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C.
The last few days have been incredibly foggy in D.C. It was so dense one evening, I nearly missed my exit coming home because I couldn't tell that the 14th street bridge had ended with the abyss that was on either side of me. That same night, I stared for a good minute at this gaping hole that is the Capitol before realizing that's where I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment